What’s your situation? Can you get divorced in California?
In order to get divorced in Contra Costa County:
- You must have lived in California for at least 6 months, and
- You must have lived in Contra Costa County for at least 3 months.
- If you don’t meet these requirements and still want to get divorced in California, you can file for a Legal Separation and wait until you’ve met the residency requirements.
As an alternative to Divorce – Summary Dissolution – Easier than divorce
If you’ve been married less than 5 years, don’t have many assets, and don’t have children, you may qualify for a Summary Dissolution. For details read this form.
Preparing for Divorce:
- Part 1: Can you get divorced in California?
- Part 2: Collect These Documents
- Part 3: Download these forms, file them with the court, and have them served to your spouse
Here are some options depending on what happens after these 1st three steps:
- Option 1 – TRUE DEFAULT – Your spouse didn’t respond to your filing at all
- Option 2 – DEFAULT CASE – Your spouse did not respond but you have a written agreement on all issues
- Option 3 – UNCONTESTED DIVORCE – You and your spouse agree on everything
- Option 4 – CONTESTED DIVORCE – You and your spouse do not agree on everything
Mendes Weed, LLP is located in Walnut Creek and serves clients around the Bay Area. For your convenience, we also have offices in OAKLAND and Sacramento by appointment only.
Se habla español.
Send us an email
Walnut Creek Main Office
1990 N. California Boulevard
Walnut Creek, CA 94596
66 Franklin Street
Oakland, CA 94607
san francisco Office
95 Third Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
san Jose Office
3031 Tisch Way
110 Plaza West
San Jose, CA 94607