Child Custody Attorney / Visitation
When children are involved, divorce, custody and visitation rights can become much more complicated. Even if a divorce ends amicably, the passage of time and changes in living situations can create some lasting scars. That is why it is important to speak with a skilled child custody attorney like the Walnut Creek based Mendes Weed law firm to create a child custody agreement that can withstand time and change.
Walnut Creek Child Custody Attorney
Your Mendes Weed, LLP child custody lawyer will strive to create an agreement that both parents agree to before the case goes to court, but we are prepared to fight for you if we need to. Because of these complications, the Walnut Creek child custody attorney team at Mendes Weed, LLP believe that visitation rights and custody should be handled by a lawyer and that you must act quickly and decisively regarding child custody issues around a divorce.
Understanding what to expect from the Bay Area child custody courts and agreeing on how to deal with children can make a divorce go much more smoothly.
How We Handle Child Custody Cases
We are hard working, experienced, and caring attorneys. Our services regarding child custody include:
- Helping you learn how your unique case may be evaluated by Bay Area and Contra Costa judges.
- You should understand and be ready to argue for a custody arrangement that makes sense, including the time and place of custody.
- Do you need to change your custody agreement? If things have changed, we can help you modify your agreement.
Court Principals In Child Custody Cases
An experienced child custody attorney can tell you what to prepare for when heading into court to fight for your children’s well-being. Here are the common principles followed by Family Courts when it comes to child custody:
- The child comes first – The courts will always do what they feel is in the best interest of the child. With years of experience our child custody lawyers in San Francisco, Sacramento and Walnut Creek can help you evaluate if sole custody will work or if you can expect a joint custody judgment.
- Both parents are responsible for the support of their children.
- Physical or sexual abuse disqualifies anybody from getting custody of a child.
- The child’s home must be stable and there should be some guarantee of continuity or no change in the status of the home.
- The court will not want to separate siblings, nor will it be easy for a custodial parent to move away from the non-custodial parent.
- A child’s wishes may be considered, but they must be old enough to voice their preferences.
As you consider how the courts will view your case, you should adopt some principles that will help your child deal with divorce, now and after your divorce is complete:
- Always speak positively about your ex regardless of the situation. Your child still has a relationship with him or her and complaints and negative talk will frustrate them and perhaps alienate them from you.
- Live up to your parental obligations, especially when it means showing up on time and spending time with your children. And if your ex does not live up to his or her obligations, don’t complain in front of the children.
Lisa Mendes, Child Custody Attorney
Partner Lisa Mendes leads our family law and child custody practice at Mendes Weed, LLP based in our Walnut Creek office. The law firm has years of success securing a solid and healthy future for clients through legal and emotional support.
Lisa is known for her aggressive defense of her clients as well as her knowledge of the law and how it pertains to their situation. She advocates for the rights and well-being of her clients and that of their children and family. She has a reputation for being a very fair negotiator and talented communicator. This streamlines and expedites the process, and helps when dealing with judges and other lawyers.
Contact a Child Custody Attorney now to get help with your situation and what is best for your kids.
Mendes Weed Walnut Creek Main Office is at 1990 N. CALIFORNIA BOULEVARD, SUITE 1020, WALNUT CREEK, CA 94596
Mendes Weed, LLP offices are located in Walnut Creek and our skilled attorneys provide family, tax, business, and trust law assistance for clients. For your convenience, we also have attorneys' offices in San Francisco and Sacramento by appointment only.
Se habla español.
Send us an email
Walnut Creek Main Office
1990 N. California Boulevard
Walnut Creek, CA 94596
San Francisco Office
201 Spear Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
By appointment only.
770 L Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
By appointment only.