Child Custody / Visitation
Understanding what to expect from the San Francisco area child custody courts and agreeing on how to deal with children can make a divorce go much more smoothly.
Here are the common principles followed by Contra Costa courts when it comes to child custody:
- The child comes first – The courts will always do what they feel is in the best interest of the child. With years of experience our child custody lawyers in San Francisco, Sacramento and Walnut Creek can help you evaluate if sole custody will work or if you can expect a joint custody judgment.
- Both parents are responsible for the support of their children.
- Physical or sexual abuse disqualifies anybody from getting custody of a child.
- The child’s home must be stable and there should be some guarantee of continuity or no change in the status of the home.
- The court will not want to separate siblings, nor will it be easy for a custodial parent to move away from the non-custodial parent.
- A child’s wishes may be considered, but they must be old enough to voice their preferences.
As you consider how the courts will view your case, you should adopt some principles that will help your child deal with divorce, now and after your divorce is complete:
- Always speak positively about your ex regardless of the situation. Your child still has a relationship with him or her and complaints and negative talk will frustrate them and perhaps alienate them from you.
- Live up to your parental obligations, especially when it means showing up on time and spending time with your children. And if your ex does not live up to his or her obligations, don’t complain in front of the children.
Our services regarding child custody include:
- Helping you learn how your unique case may be evaluated by Contra Costa judges.
- You should understand and be ready to argue for a custody arrangement that makes sense, including the time and place of custody.
- Do you need to change your custody agreement? If things have changed, we can help you modify your agreement.
California Child Custody Resources
Spring is right around the corner and summer is not far behind that. It's not too late to think about who will have the kids during these vacation periods. Avoiding conflict in front of the children is very important, so you need to plan...
The holidays are a very difficult time for many, especially if you are going through or have recently gone through a divorce. Meal planning, holiday festivities, and visits from family and friends add to the challenges of everyday life. Reduce the stress on you, your...
Considering a Modification in Custody? Be Realistic about Your Expectations and the Needs of Your Child or Children
Modifications to a custody agreement make sense as the ages and needs of your children change. What might have been appropriate for a child at 2 may no longer make sense now that the child is a teenager. Likewise, changes to a parent’s job or living situation may also...
So what does the law say on child support obligations in California? The child’s best interest is the State’s number one priority. Under Family Code 4053, the legislature laid out the position on child support, and the related analysis and bases. The code...
Upon filing for a divorce in California, Automatic Temporary Restraining Orders (often referred to as “ATROS”) kick in. You will see these on Page 2 of your Summons. These restraining orders are mutual and become effective on the Respondent upon service of the...
You are super excited to take the kiddos on that big summer trip. So, you reach out to your ex to lock it in and you either get denied the vacation time, or told you need to reschedule it. Wait, what? But they are your kids. And vacation is going to be so...
Mendes Weed, LLP offices are located in Walnut Creek and our skilled attorneys provide family, tax, business and trust law assistance for clients. For your convenience, we also have attorneys' offices in San Francisco and Sacramento by appointment only.
Se habla español.
Send us an email
Walnut Creek Main Office
1990 N. California Boulevard
Walnut Creek, CA 94596
San Francisco Office
201 Spear Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
By appointment only.
770 L Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
By appointment only.