Collect these documents to prepare your forms
These documents are the basis for the financial disclosure divorce filings:
- Individual income tax returns from the past three to five years (federal and state)
- Any business income tax returns from the past three to five years (federal and state)
- Proof of your current income (Including W-2 forms, 1099 forms, and recent pay stubs)
- Prenuptial agreement, if one exists
- Bank statements from all joint and individual accounts – checking and savings
- Retirement account statements (401K, IRA, and similar accounts)
- Stock portfolios and options
- Pension statements
- Credit card statements
- Any existing loan documents
- Utility bills and other bills (tuition, medical bills, etc.)
- Life, health, automobile, and homeowners insurance policies
- Real property deeds for each property you or your spouse own, or any properties owned by any entity that you have an interest in
- A detailed list of personal property, including jewelry, home furnishings, artwork, electronic equipment, clothing, etc. If you and your spouse own any particularly valuable or unique items you may wish to photograph them and inventory them and perhaps obtain an appraisal.
- List of real property and assets owned by each spouse prior to marriage
- Wills, trusts, living wills, powers of attorney, durable powers of attorney
Preparing for Divorce:
- Part 1: Can you get divorced in California?
- Part 2: Collect These Documents
- Part 3: Download these forms, file them with the court, and have them served to your spouse
Here are some options depending on what happens after these 1st three steps:
- Option 1 – TRUE DEFAULT – Your spouse didn’t respond to your filing at all
- Option 2 – DEFAULT CASE – Your spouse did not respond but you have a written agreement on all issues
- Option 3 – UNCONTESTED DIVORCE – You and your spouse agree on everything
- Option 4 – CONTESTED DIVORCE – You and your spouse do not agree on everything
Our Ratings and Reviews
Mendes Weed, LLP offices are located in Walnut Creek and our skilled attorneys provide family, tax, business and trust law assistance for clients. For your convenience, we also have attorneys' offices in San Francisco and Sacramento by appointment only.
Se habla español.
Send us an email
Walnut Creek Main Office
1990 N. California Boulevard
Walnut Creek, CA 94596
San Francisco Office
201 Spear Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
By appointment only.
770 L Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
By appointment only.