As a tax lawyer, I’m commonly asked the questions, “When Do I Need a Tax Lawyer?” or “Why Do I Need a Tax Lawyer?” Here are the answers.
You need a tax lawyer:
- Anytime you are audited by the IRS or State Taxing Agency
- Anytime you dispute the amount of tax asserted against you
- Anytime there is the possibility of a criminal investigation
- If you are starting a new business
- If you want to change the type of entity your business is currently operating under
- If you have questions about foreign accounts, foreign real property, or other foreign assets
- If there are complex estate issues in your estate plan
Why do I need a tax lawyer?
- It is vital to your personal finances and the health of your business to obtain competent legal representation as early as possible.
- Failure to do so may result in missed statutory deadlines, as well as the imposition or accrual of additional penalties and interest.
- If a taxpayer does not have the present ability to pay their tax in full in one lump sum payment, they need someone to advocate for them to the fullest to avoid missed deadlines and options for payment.
- To make sure you are compliant and to keep you compliant.
- A tax lawyer can listen to your needs and concerns and advise you on what is best for your family, your business, and your legacy.
- All attorney-client communications are privileged and not subject to disclosure.
Walnut Creek’s Tax Lawyer Christina Weed
If you are looking for a tax attorney in the East Bay Area, including but not limited to, Walnut Creek, San Ramon, Danville or Pleasanton, contact Christina Weed at Mendes Weed, LLP today.
We work with clients in San Francisco, the East Bay, and throughout the United States. As a licensed attorney with an LL.M. in Taxation from the University of San Diego and a Bachelor’s Degree in Accountancy, Christina offers a unique combined focus on Trusts & Estates, Tax Law, Tax Litigation, and Business Law. Christina is Chair of the Tax Section of the Contra Costa County Bar Association and is also a member of the Estate Planning Council Diablo Valley and the Tri-Valley Estate Planning Council.
Disclaimer: The tips and materials provided on this page are for informational purposes only, offered as public service. No information on this website should be considered legal advice or used as a substitute for legal advice. For legal advice, you should contact an attorney directly.
Walnut Creek Main Office
1990 N. California BLVd.
Walnut Creek, CA 94596
San Francisco Office
95 Third Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
66 Franklin Street
Oakland, CA 94607
San Jose Office
3031 Tisch Way
110 Plaza West
San Jose, CA 94607